Saturday, March 19, 2011

A day in the life of having rheumatoid arthritis!

Per my last post, I wrote about how I had suffered in my right wrist for so long due to rheumatoid arthritis attacking the joint, after countless surgeries, my only option left was to have a complete wrist fusion. A complete wrist fusion entails bone removal and two titanium plates and 8 screws, which leaves me with zero mobility except for in the fingers. With that being said, after years of battling a level 8 pain level, the fusion will take away the pain. 48 days postop I came out of my final cast and feeling wonderful. I felt like I had a since of normality back in my life. 54 days postop I woke up with redness around the area of the plates and warmth to the touch. No rhyme or reason, it just appeared. Monday, March 14 called my surgeon and he told me to come in NOW! I had just recently started my chemotherapy back, since the removal for healing time after surgery. He immediately put me on antibiotics, not really knowing why there would be an infection this far out from surgery. 500mg of Keflex every 4 hours and bed rest. As most of you know, I don't really do well with bed rest, but with whatever is happening in my wrist and the amount of medicine in my system, it has been an effort putting one foot in front of the other this past week. I have ran a low grade fever all week because my body is trying hard to fight the symptoms. The question during the week is it an infection or is my body rejecting the hardware from the fusion. Still feeling tired as the week came to an end, seemed to be doing a bit better and then all of a sudden the swelling started once again. I'm sure by now my surgeon is getting tired of me calling :)
So back again to the doctor Thursday afternoon, he brought Jason and I into the office and said he really did not understand why this is happening. Let me explain, I had severe synovitis in my wrist where the rheumatoid arthritis decided to house itself, so during surgery, my doctor decided to place my extensors underneath the plate to prevent the onset of arthritis in the hand again. So as we sit there in his office, he tells me it could be the arthritis is back and causing infection. Infection, being from rejection of the hardware. Once again off my chemotherapy drugs, which keeps all my other joints from hurting, and stronger antibiotics hoping to get the flare up down. By yesterday evening I was swollen on both sides of the plates where they are attached by screws to the bones. Right now Jason and I are just in limbo with fingers crossed that it will subside. My doctor wants to see me back early this upcoming week and we will discuss my options.
This is the nature of the beast of having rheumatoid arthritis, nothing is guaranteed and as good as you feel one day, it can be a 100% in the opposite direction the next day.

I wanted to share this with you, not to give me sympathy or feel bad for me, but I want you to help me find a cure for this disease. Whether you are my family, friend, client, or someone that just knows me from Facebook, arthritis affects everyone, 2 out of 3 people in Alabama have arthritis and 1out of 3 Americans suffer from this disease. Arthritis is the leading cause for disability in the United States. The Arthritis Foundation will be holding it's annual Arthritis Walk April 16 at Camp Grace in Mobile, I would love to have you join my team and walk for a great cause or if you are unable to participate, any donation made would greatly be appreciated.

My donation page
To Join my team

Cindy Lane Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog!