As promised on the Fat To Fit Radio Show.....
TIPS TO GET BACK ON TRACK AFTER THANKSGIVING
"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." ~Lou Holtz
YOU CAN DO IT!
If you're like me you most likely woke up to having to deal with the post Thanksgiving "damage control"- not fun! Getting back on track with your fitness and weight loss goals after a festive holiday of overeating with family and friends can be overwhelming for some people. If you ate too much on Thanksgiving don’t worry you can regroup and get back to exercising daily and eating clean!
Typically at social gatherings there are plenty of high calorie foods and desserts to tempt and tantalize your taste buds. Often self discipline and control seem to go out the window the moment you step through the door. If you overindulged don’t despair there is nothing wrong with indulging a bit by eating succulent foods; in fact, it’s good for the body and mind to have a high calorie meal now and again after weeks of eating clean.
Unfortunately, many people have negative attitudes towards themselves in the aftermath of overeating and convince themselves that they have already ruined their diet. The negative mind set can cause them to think to themselves “Why should I continue try to lose weight or get in shape? I already gained weight back....” then they fall right back to mindlessly eating junk food and sweets, and lack the desire to continue to exercise which ultimately causes more weight gain and frustrations.
If you are discouraged here are 6 simple ways to get back on track to assist you in reaching your fitness goals.
6 Fitness Tips To Get Back on Track!
1. Get back to the gym! It’s easy to let the day after Thanksgiving be a day of rest after waking up feeling the after effects of having way too many calories. Your body needs you to workout today more than ever to get it back on track and burn off some of the calories from Thanksgiving. Commit to exercising for at least a week to help release the water weight you may have gained, it takes a few days for the body to balance itself again after eating a large high calorie meal and desserts.
2. Drink up! After eating a huge meal filled with carbs, fats, sugars, and sodium your body will have a lot of toxins to get rid of. Drink a gallon (or more) of purified water to flush out your system. A great detox drink to have first thing in the morning is 8 oz of warm water with 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and cinnamon mixed with 1 tsp raw honey. This will aid detoxing your organs and digestive track.
3. Eat a low-carb diet. When you eat a lot of high carb foods your insulin increases turning your food into glucose and then storing the energy as fat. It also limits the body's ability to release stored energy otherwise known as fat. So to turn your body into a fat burning machine try to keep your carb intake to 50 grams a day. Stay away from gluten and dairy products as well because they cause water weight retention and inflammation which will sabotage your efforts. Have your carbs in the morning and eat protein and fresh veggies for the rest of the day.
4. Write down your goals with a smile on your face. Write down goals that you will do this next week. Always write in the present tense as though you have already accomplished them, i.e. “I weigh ____.” “I love to workout!” “I crave healthy whole foods each day.” Believing in yourself that you can will help you reach your goals and follow through!
5. Visualize fitness success. Each morning and night focus and visualize exactly how you want to be, use all five senses. Post a photo for a visual aid of how you desire your physique to be. Have gratitude in your heart and give thanks aloud throughout the day for your miraculous body and for all the blessings in your life.
6. Plan ahead & be prepared! If you fail to plan you're basically planning to fail. Write down your meals and workout plans for the week, and follow through! Keep a gratitude, meal workout journal. Keeping accountability for yourself is highly motivating. Keeping a gratitude journal will literally transform your thoughts to create the life and body of your dreams!
If you do the above faithfully you will overcome the dreaded post Thanksgiving "hang-over" and it will help take care of the "damage" easily. Make exercise a high priority in your life to get your body, mind, and spirit back on track. Believe in all that you are and have fun as you continue to strive to live a healthier and happier way of life.